November 17, 2011

Party Pooper

Author: A "guiri" in SpainCategory: Lost in Translation

Dear English Speakers,

Language is a funny thing. Developed and perfected over hundreds of thousands of years, where would we be if it weren’t for language? But even more curious I suppose, is just how different languages of the world can be. Even speaking the common language of English can leave a lot of room for misconception depending on where you learned it and how you pronounce it. But, fear not, there is a light at the end of the dark tunnel of miscommunication. 

I have been told, throughout my own struggles to learn a new language, that a smile is the same in every language. 

While I could not agree more, there are just some things that do not easily translate. And to me, this just happens to be hilarious. (I once called someone a pillow, thinking that was her name!) Through my own language blunders, mistranslations, and misunderstandings I have learned that laughter really is the best medicine and that laughter too is the same in every language – even when people are laughing at you.

So for today, I would like to thank the German DJ Flula for reminding me that I’m not alone in my own language misunderstandings. Apparently this too happens in every language. As I stumbled upon his video page of language ponderings, I couldn’t help but enjoy this video about Party Poopers. 


I’m sorry Flula, but you may be taking some things a little too literally.

Until next time.

1 comment:

  1. "I want to go to parties with Jennifer just to make observation" LOL

    ReplyDelete